F-4C Phantom II
Help keep our F-4C Phantom II looking great, donate today!
|Empty Weight:||28276.0 lbs|
|Gross Weight:||50341.0 lbs|
|No. of Engines:||2|
|Powerplant:||General Electric J79-15|
|Cruise Speed:||575 mph|
|Max Speed:||1384 Mph - Mach 1.1|
Up to 18,650 lbs of weopons on
nine external hard points.
General purpose bombs, cluster bombs, TV- and laser-guided bombs, rocket pods, air-to-ground missiles, anti-ship missiles, gun pods, and nuclear weapons. Reconnaissance, targeting, electronic countermeasures and baggage pods, and external fuel tanks may also be carried.
4× AIM-9 Sidewinders on wing pylons,
4× AIM-7 Sparrow in fuselage recesses,
6× AGM-65 Maverick
4× AGM-62 Walleye
4× AGM-45 Shrike, AGM-88 HARM, AGM-78 Standard ARM
18× Mk.82, GBU-12
5× Mk.84, GBU-10, GBU-14
18× CBU-87, CBU-89, CBU-58
Nuclear weapons, including the B28EX, B61, B43 and B57
The F-4 was designed in 1953 as a company venture by McDonnell to meet the Navy’s future needs. It turned into one of the greatest post-World War II fighters. The twin engine, two seat, all-weather, long-range supersonic jet interceptor and fighter-bomber was initially designed as an attack bomber. Capable of carrying a greater bomb load than a B-29, the F-4C was still an effective fighter, claiming 106 out of 137 MiGs destroyed in the Vietnam War. Israel had great success with theF-4', at one time shooting down over 70 Syrian aircraft without the loss of a single Phantom.
In 1962, the USAF began equipping the Tactical Air Command with the F-4C, similar to the U.S. Navy’s F-4B. Large numbers of C and D Phantoms flew every mission type in Vietnam from close air support to air superiority between 1965 and 1973.
The museum’s F-4C aircraft, serial number 63-7693, was manufactured by McDonnell Aircraft, St. Louis, Missouri, and delivered to the USAF on 1 Feb 1965. It has served with 8th TFW, 479th TFW, 431st TFS all at George AFB between 1965-1967; 8th TFW at Ubon, RTAFB, Thailand, in 1967; 366th TFW, Da Nang AB, South Vietnam, 1967; 58th Tactical Fighter Training Wing, Luke AFB, AZ, in 1971; 1633rd TASG, Ontario AP, in 1982.This aircraft is on loan from the NMUSAF