F-102A Delta Dagger
Help keep our F-102A Delta Dagger looking great, donate today!
|Wingarea:||661.50 Sq Ft|
|Empty Weight:||19050.0 lbs|
|Gross Weight:||31500.0 lbs|
|No. of Engines:||1|
|Powerplant:||Pratt & Whitney J57-P-23|
|Cruise Speed:||600.00 mph|
|Max Speed:||Mach 1.25/825.00 Mph|
|Armament:||Internal missile bay for up to six High or Falcon AIM and 24 2.75 rocket|
The F-102 Delta Dagger was the first operational Mach 1 capable supersonic, all-weather interceptor in the United States Air Force. Manufactured by the Convair division of General Dynamics in San Diego, California its signature wasp-waisted delta-wing design found its inspiration in technology developed by
German scientists during the Second World War.
Entering duty in April 1956, during the height of the Cold War, the F-102's high-altitude and high-speed capabilities provided an effective solution to the threat posed by the massive Soviet bomber force.
The F-102 used an internal weapons bay to carry up to six AIM-4 infrared or radar guided missiles and rockets. Delta Daggers, more commonly known as "Deuces", saw limited operational use in Southeast Asia from March 1962 to December 1969 in its primary role as an air defense interceptor and in an additional mission as an escort fighter for B-52 Stratofortress bombers. A single F-102 was lost to a North Vietnamese MiG-21 in air-to-air combat; fourteen others were lost to a combination of sapper attacks and accidents.
Over 1,000 F-102s were accepted into the U.S. inventory, flying for two decades until their gradual replacement by the Mach 2 capable F-106 Delta Dart. Over 200 F-102s were subsequently converted for use as target drones (QF-102A or PQM-102A).
The museum's F-102A, serial number 56-1114, entered the active service in May 1957. It was stationed with the 52nd Fighter Group at Suffolk County AFB, NY, the 79th Fighter Group, Youngstown, OH and the 1st Fighter Group, Selfridge AFB, MI. In December 1960, the aircraft was transferred to the114th Fighter Group (ANG), Sioux Fall, SD and finally to the 114th Fighter Group (ANG), Fresno, CA. where it was retired in 1970 and moved into storage at Davis-Monthan AFB, AZ.
In 1988, aircraft 56-1114 was mounted on a pedestal and placed on static display in front of the South West Air Division Operations Center at March AFB. In 1996, the aircraft was removed from the pedestal; by October 2000, the aircraft was restored for display at the MFAM. Today it wears the colors of its last assignment 114th Fighter Group CA ANG. This aircraft is on loan from the NMUSAF