Help keep our F-100B Voodoo looking great, donate today!
|Crew:||Pilot and weapons officer|
|Wingarea:||368.00 Sq Ft||34.19 Sq M|
|Empty Weight:||28970.0 lbs||13141.0 Kg|
|Gross Weight:||45664.0 lbs||20713.0 Kg|
|Max Weight:||52400.0lbs||23768.0 Kg|
|No. of Engines:||2|
|Powerplant:||Pratt & Whitney J57-P-55 (A/B 16,900Lb/7,666Kg)|
|Range:||1520 miles||2445.00 Km|
|Cruise Speed:||551.00 mph||887.00 Km/H||479.46 Kt|
|Max Speed:||1134.00 Mph||1825.00 Km/H||986.49 Kt|
|Climb:||49200.0 Ft/min||15000.0 M/min|
|Ceiling:||54800.0 Ft||16705.0 M|
The F-101 VooDoo was ordered by the Strategic Air Command in 1951 as a long
range all weather fighter interceptor and protective escort for the B-36. The
F-101 carried the US arsenal of nuclear air-to-air missiles, aerial mines and
bombs. The reconnaissance version of the F-l0l was the aircraft that provided
many of the photos during the Cuban Missile Crisis in 1962. Canada also used
F-l0l's as a primary fighter interceptor until the early 1980's. The B model was
a two seat all weather interceptor but carried no internal cannon. Instead, a
rotary missile bay for three Falcon air-to-air missiles was substituted.
The F-101 at the March Field Museum is a B model serial number 59-418. It was
built in St. Louis, Missouri, by McDonnell Aircraft and delivered to the Air
Force on 23 July 1960. This aircraft is on loan from the USAF.
It served in the following locations:
Jul 1960 - To 49th Fighter Interceptor Squadron (ADD), Griffiss AFB NY
Jul 1968 - To 60th Fiqhter Interceptor Squadron (ADC), Otis AFB MA
Apr 1971 - To 107th Tactical Fighter Group (ANG), Niagara Falls AP NY
Jan 1973 - 107th TFG became the 107th Fighter Interceptor Group
Mar 1982 - Dropped from inventory by donation to school or museum
It was received at March Field Museum in 1982.