(above, as of 18 April 2013)
|Length:||43' 5"||13.23 M|
|Height:||14' 5"||4.39 M|
|Wingspan:||33' 7"||10.24 M|
|Empty Weight:||13645.0 lbs||6188.00 Kg|
|Gross Weight:||26998.0 lbs||12244.0 Kg|
|Max Weight:||27000.0lbs||12244.0 Kg|
|No. of Engines:||1|
|Range:||1650 miles||2657.00 Km|
|Max Speed:||685.00 Mph||1103.00 Km/H||596.22 Kt|
|Ceiling:||44450.0 Ft||13548.0 M|
The swept-wing single-seat Republic F-84F "Thunderstreak" was a modification of the straight-wing F-84 "Thunderjet" series of post-war sub-sonic United States Air Force jet fighters. Armed with six 50-caliber M-3 aircraft machineguns, 24 5-inch rockets and 6,000 pounds of bombs the Thunderstreak was designed as a fighter-bomber capable of attacking ground targets and intercepting high-altitude Soviet Bombers. The first production F-84F flew on November 22, 1952. Almost immediately, control and stability problems surfaced. The first production runs were equipped with conventional stabilizer-elevator tail-planes, which caused an accelerated stall pitch-up problem and degraded maneuverability at combat speeds. By May of 1954, the introduction of a hydraulically powered one-piece stabilizer and side-mounted spoilers improved performance and corrected the high-speed control problems.
Notable as one of the first aircraft to be utilized by the USAF Thunderbirds Flight Demonstration Team the F-84F only saw limited usage (mostly by NATO Allies) in its intended combat role. Throughout its service life, maintenance difficulties from control-rod corrosion to a disturbing tendency for the J65 engine to flameout when flying through heavy snow or rainstorms continued to plague the aircraft. Replaced by the F-4 Phantom in 1964, the remaining F-84F's were re-assigned to Air National Guard units until their complete withdrawal from service in 1971.
Operationally, the F-84F made its most significant contribution to history when two West German Air Force F-84F's wandered into communist controlled East German airspace in September 1961, one month after the construction of the Berlin Wall. A quick thinking USAF Radar Controller at Berlin's Tempelhof Airport ordered the F-84F's to divert directly to West Berlin allowing the Thunderstreaks to evade pursuing Soviet MiG Fighters thereby avoiding an armed confrontation.
On loan from the United States Air Force, the museum's F-84F, s/n 51-9432, was manufactured by General Motors, Kansas City, Kansas and delivered to the USAF on October 25, 1954. Restored by museum volunteers, our F-84F wears the livery of a Wing Commander from its first active duty assignment with the 12th Strategic Fighter Wing, Strategic Air Command, Bergstrom Air Force Base, Texas.
- - - - - - - - - - -
According to the Air Force Historical Research Agency (AFHRA/RSA), Maxwell AFB, AL, the museum's F-84F has the following history:
F-84F, s/n 51-9432, was manufactured by General Motors, Kansas City KS and delivered to the USAF on 25 Oct 1954. Its assignments were:
Oct 1954 - To 12th Strategic Fighter Wing (SAC), Bergstrom AFB TX
Sep 1955 - To Ogden Air Materiel Area UT
Dec 1955 - To 31st Strategic Fighter Wing (SAC), Turner AFB GA (assignment to Ramey AFB PR)
Apr 1957 - Unit became 3lst Fighter-Bomber Wing (TAC)
Jul 1957 - To ll9th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron (ANG), McGuire AFB NJ
Aug 1958 - Unit moved to Atlantic City AP NJ
Nov 1958 - Unit became ll9th Tactical Fighter Squadron
Aug 1962 - To 12th Tactical Fighter Wing (TAC), Macdill AFB FL
Sep 1962 - To 15th Tactical Fighter Wing (TAC), Macdill AFB
Apr 1964 - To 181st Tactical Fighter Group (ANG), Hulman Fld IN
Sep 1971 - To Military Aircraft Storage and Disposition Center AZ
Apr 1972 - Dropped from inventory as surplus