Manufacturer: North American
Designation: SNJ-4
First Flight: 1937
First Use: 1938
Total Built: 16,000+ (2,400 for the Navy)
Nickname: Texan
Type: Trainer (Advanced)
Specifications (typical values, our SNJ-4 may differ)
Length: 29' 6"  
Height: 11'  
Wingspan: 42'  
Cost: $27,000  
Max Weight: 7,100 lbs  
Payload: 1,500 lbs  
Armament: Two fixed .50 cal machine guns  
Crew: 1 or 2  
Propulsion
No. of Engines: 1
Powerplant: Pratt & Whitney R-1340
Horsepower (each): 550 hp
Performance
Range: 750 miles  
Cruise Speed: 145 mph    
Max Speed: 208 Mph    
Ceiling: 21,000 Ft  

The North American Aviation SNJ-4 is the United States Navy version of the
venerable AT-6 “Texan.” The single-engine, tandem cockpit monoplane was
developed as a design modification from the BT-9 basic training aircraft first
adopted by the United States Army Air Forces in 1935. 1936 saw the purchase of
an initial 40 AT-6 trainers for the U.S. Navy. The aircraft were given the Navy
designation of SNJ “S” for scout, ‘N” for trainer and “J” indicating the
manufacturer North American Aviation. Incomplete records show the production of
a minimum of 15,000 AT-6/ SNJ variants from 1935 until the 1950’s with 2,400
being SNJ-4s.

In addition to the United States, the AT-6/SNJ served in an official military
capacity as both a trainer and combat aircraft in the militaries of over 40
countries spanning from 1935 until the late 1990s. Equipped with an
arrestor-hook the SNJ-4C allowed Navy student pilots to learn the demanding
techniques and complex skills required to take-off and land on a carrier deck.
Simple, reliable and capable of performing intricate aerial maneuvers the
AT-6/SNJ was a perfect advanced training aircraft and remains a favorite for
demonstration teams even today.

The museums SNJ-4 Bureau Number 51360 was delivered to Naval Air Station
Pensacola, Florida in 1943. The aircraft served in Florida and at NAS Glenview,
Illinois before returning to Pensacola to retire 1957. with 5,833 hours. On loan
from the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force 51360 came to the museum in 1982
with 5,883 hours on the airframe. In 2013, museum staff and volunteers returned
SNJ-4 51360 to the WW2 U.S. Navy markings of its first assignment at NAS
Pensacola.