Manufacturer: Curtiss Aircraft, Buffalo, NY
Designation: P-6, (U.S. Navy F6C)
Version: E
Nickname: Hawk
Type: Pursuit
First Flew: 1929 (A model), 1932 (E model)
Specifications (below are for P-6E, not our actual
aircraft)
Length: 23 ft  2 in  
Height: 6 ft  10 in  
Wing Span: 31 ft  6 in  
Empty Weight:   Kg
Armament: Two .30 cal machine guns  
Max Weight:   Kg
Propulsion
No. of Engines: 1
Powerplant: Curtiss V-1570-23 Conquerer liquid-cooled in-line
Horsepower (each): 700 hp
Performance
Range: 244 miles Km
Cruise Speed: mph Km/H Kt
Max Speed: 198 Mph Km/H Kt
Climb: Ft/min  
Ceiling: 24,700 Ft  

With its sleek lines and powerful 600 horsepower inline engine, the Curtiss
P-6E fighter represents the pinnacle of 1930’s era bi-plane design. In the midst
of the Great Depression, budget constraints limited the United States Air Corps
to only 46 of the trim fighters. Never used in combat, the aircraft holds the
distinction of being the last bi-plane fighter intended for front line service
ordered by the United States.

The only original P-6E still in existence is in the collection of the
National Museum of the United States Air Force in Dayton, Ohio. March Field Air
Museum’s P-6E 32-240 is a 7/8 scale replica. March Field’s P-6E appears in the
“Snow Owl” livery of Captain Ross G. Hoyt, Commanding Officer of the 17th
Pursuit Squadron, 1st Pursuit Group, based at Selfridge Field, Mich. in 1933.

Powered by a Chevrolet V-8 engine P-6E 32-240 was constructed and flown by
Donald Sauser, a former USMC pilot. Following his death, his wife presented the
plane to the museum in 2002. This aircraft is owned by March Field Air Museum.