F-89J Scorpion

Manufacturer: Northrop
Designation: F-89
Version: J
Nickname: Scorpion
Type: Fighter
Crew: 2 (Pilot, radar systems officer)
Specifications
Length: 53' 8" 16.36 M
Height: 17' 6" 5.33 M
Wingspan: 59' 10" 18.24 M
Gross Weight: 47698.0 lbs 21632.0 Kg
Max Weight: 47700.0lbs 21632.0 Kg
Propulsion
No. of Engines: 2
Powerplant: Allison J35-A
Thrust (each): 4900 lbs 3265
Thrust  with Afterburner (each): 7200 lbs  
Performance
Range: 1600 miles 2576.00 Km
Cruise Speed: 465.00 mph 748.00 Km/H 404.32 Kt
Max Speed: 627.00 Mph 1009.00 Km/H 545.41 Kt
Ceiling: 45000.0 Ft 13715.0 M

 

Nicknamed the "Flying Vacuum" because of its low slung jet intakes, the F-89
Scorpion would ingest any loose objects it crossed paths with on the runway. An
attempt to place screens over the intakes failed when, at high altitudes, ice
formed over the screens and caused the engines to flare out. Designed as an all
weather ground attack fighter, the Scorpion was the first US interceptor armed
with nuclear air-to-air missiles and the first aircraft to live fire an AIR-2
Genie nuclear air-to-air missile on 19 July 1957.

According to the Air Force Historical Research Agency (AFHRA/RSA), Maxwell
AFB, AL, the museum's F-89J has the following history:

The aircraft at the March Field Museum is a J model, serial number 52-1949.
It was manufactured by Northrop and delivered to the Air Force on 24 November
1954. It served in the following locations:

Nov 1954 - To 65th Fighter Interceptor Squadron (AAC), Elmendorf AFB AK
(deployed to Naknek AFB AK)

Oct 1957  - To 319th Fighter Interceptor Squadron (ADC), Bunker Hill AFB IN

Feb 1960  - To 128th Consolidated Maintenance Squadron (ANG.),General
Mitchell Field WI

May 1961  - To 126th Fighter : Interceptor Squadron (ANG), General Mitchell
Field WI

May 1962  - To 124th Fighter Interceptor Squadron (ANG), Des Moines AP IA.
(converted to F-89J)

Dec 1962 -   To 132th Fighter Croup (ANG), Des Moines AP IA

May 1969  - Dropped from inventory by transfer to USN

In June, 1981, it was transported by truck to March AFB Museum.  The nose
radar equipment was removed and placed into a display case by former radar
technician who was in the RAF during WWII. The display shows the many glass
radio tubes in use at the time. This aircraft is on loan from the USAF.