F-84F Thunderstreak

Manufacturer: Republic
Designation: F-84
Version: F
Nickname: Thunderstreak
Type: Fighter
Crew: Pilot
First Flew: 1952
Specifications
Length: 43' 5" 13.23 M
Height: 14' 5" 4.39 M
Wingspan: 33' 7" 10.24 M
Empty Weight: 13645.0 lbs 6188.00 Kg
Gross Weight: 26998.0 lbs 12244.0 Kg
Max Weight: 27000.0lbs 12244.0 Kg
Propulsion
No. of Engines: 1
Powerplant: Wright J65-W-3
Thrust (each): 7220 3274
Performance
Range: 1650 miles 2657.00 Km
Max Speed: 685.00 Mph 1103.00 Km/H 596.22 Kt
Ceiling: 44450.0 Ft 13548.0 M

The swept-wing single-seat Republic F-84F "Thunderstreak" was a modification
of the straight-wing F-84 "Thunderjet" series of post-war sub-sonic United
States Air Force jet fighters. Armed with six 50-caliber M-3 aircraft
machineguns, 24 5-inch rockets and 6,000 pounds of bombs the Thunderstreak was
designed as a fighter-bomber capable of attacking ground targets and
intercepting high-altitude Soviet Bombers. The first production F-84F flew on
November 22, 1952. Almost immediately, control and stability problems surfaced.
The first production runs were equipped with conventional stabilizer-elevator
tail-planes, which caused an accelerated stall pitch-up problem and degraded
maneuverability at combat speeds. By May of 1954, the introduction of a
hydraulically powered one-piece stabilizer and side-mounted spoilers improved
performance and corrected the high-speed control problems.

Notable as one of the first aircraft to be utilized by the USAF Thunderbirds
Flight Demonstration Team the F-84F only saw limited usage (mostly by NATO
Allies) in its intended combat role. Throughout its service life, maintenance
difficulties from control-rod corrosion to a disturbing tendency for the J65
engine to flameout when flying through heavy snow or rainstorms continued to
plague the aircraft. Replaced by the F-4 Phantom in 1964, the remaining F-84F's
were re-assigned to Air National Guard units until their complete withdrawal
from service in 1971.

Operationally, the F-84F made its most significant contribution to history
when two West German Air Force F-84F's wandered into communist controlled East
German airspace in September 1961, one month after the construction of the
Berlin Wall. A quick thinking USAF Radar Controller at Berlin's Tempelhof
Airport ordered the F-84F's to divert directly to West Berlin allowing the
Thunderstreaks to evade pursuing Soviet MiG Fighters thereby avoiding an armed
confrontation.

On loan from the United States Air Force, the museum's F-84F, s/n 51-9432,
was manufactured by General Motors, Kansas City, Kansas and delivered to the
USAF on October 25, 1954. Restored by museum volunteers, our F-84F wears the
livery of a Wing Commander from its first active duty assignment with the 12th
Strategic Fighter Wing, Strategic Air Command, Bergstrom Air Force Base, Texas.

- - - - - - - - - - -

According to the Air Force Historical Research Agency (AFHRA/RSA), Maxwell
AFB, AL, the museum's F-84F has the following history:

F-84F, s/n 51-9432, was manufactured by General Motors, Kansas City KS and
delivered to the USAF on 25 Oct 1954. Its assignments were:

Oct 1954  - To 12th Strategic Fighter Wing (SAC), Bergstrom AFB TX

Sep 1955  - To Ogden Air Materiel Area UT

Dec 1955  - To 31st Strategic Fighter Wing (SAC), Turner AFB GA (assignment
to Ramey AFB PR)

Apr 1957  - Unit became 3lst Fighter-Bomber Wing (TAC)

Jul 1957  - To ll9th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron (ANG), McGuire AFB NJ

Aug 1958  - Unit moved to Atlantic City AP NJ

Nov 1958  - Unit became ll9th Tactical Fighter Squadron

Aug 1962  - To 12th Tactical Fighter Wing (TAC), Macdill AFB FL

Sep 1962  - To 15th Tactical Fighter Wing (TAC), Macdill AFB

Apr 1964 -  To 181st Tactical Fighter Group (ANG), Hulman Fld IN

Sep 1971  - To Military Aircraft Storage and Disposition Center AZ

Apr 1972  - Dropped from inventory as surplus